"During World War ll, the United States Department of the Navy increased its fleet of ships to nearly 7,000. They were manufactured at an incredibly fast rate by a female workforce that replaced male workers who entered the military – collectively dubbed Rosie the Riveter. But that large ship production left the Navy in a dilemma at the end of the war. What should be done with such a vast and, for the most part, unnecessary fleet?
In 1946, the National Naval Defense Reserve Fleet was established and eight sites around the nation were selected to store the ships, maintain them, and keep them ready for action in the event of a national emergency. Among the eight locations was the Hudson River in Tarrytown, New York."